Tuesday, June 14, 2005

My man - Roger Federer

Roger Federer is, in my opinion, the best player to ever play the game of tennis. Here is a clip of a superb backhand lob against Agassi that even suprised Federer at Dubai '05. There is no point extolling his greatness or iterating his myriad records, there are thousands of sites on the net which do so. I will let four of the greatest players of all time tell you what they think of Roger:
  • "Oh, I would be honoured to even be compared to Roger. He is such an unbelievable talent, and is capable of anything. Roger could be the greatest tennis player of all time." - Rod Laver, winner of 11 Grand Slams, considered by some the greatest player to ever play the game of tennis.

  • "I think he can dominate tennis for as long as I did...We have the same temperament and like me, he makes playing look easy...He can do just about anything he wants with a racquet and he dominates everybody as I did several years before." - Pete Sampras, winner of record 14 Grand Slams. Federer beat Sampras in their only meeting - at Wimbledon in 2001.

  • "He's the most gifted player that I've ever seen in my life. I've seen a lot of people play. I've seen the (Rod) Lavers, I played against some of the great players - the Samprases, Beckers, Connors', Borgs, you name it. This guy could be the greatest of all time. That, to me, says it all." - John McEnroe, winner of 7 Grand Slams.

  • "Roger Federer is the only guy I watch for his strokes. He is just beautiful. He can hit every single shot you could ever think of. John [McEnroe] and Ilie [Nastase] were very talented but you always knew there were some shots they couldn't hit. Not with Federer. I would go and watch him practise, he's so good." - Ivan Lendl, winner of 8 Grand Slams.
Here are some of the links you can check out:
The official site
A very informative fan-blog
The omniscient Wikipedia entry
Wikiquote entry

No comments: